July 11, 2014
CULTURE CLUB: On Your Radar 11.07.14
Here’s our weekly mailer, featuring a host of handpicked recommendations from the left-field of London’s arts and culture world. Lock down your aerials..:
1. VISUAL FAMILY STORYTELLING AND THE OLD JEWISH CULTURE OF EAST LONDON
– In 1926 shoemaker, Ab Solomons, drew on the wage packet he gave to his new wife Celie. Throughout their marriage and into the 1980s, Ab drew or painted on his wage packet every week for her. These illustrations depict, with remarkable honesty, the ups and downs of their life together in East London. Years later Danny Braverman discovered the lost art of his Great-uncle Ab on over 3000 wage packets.
Wot? No Fish!! tells the true story of a Jewish family living in 20th century London. From falling in love to quarrels about fish balls, audiences are taken on a funny and moving journey against the backdrop of a changing city. – WHEN/WHERE: Battersea Arts Centre
– WHY RELEVANT: Shows power of true stories, family ties and archive material
– LINK: youtube.com
2. HACKNEY CREATIVITY FESTIVAL
Beatboxing, Bodypainting and more by the canal. Live Artists will create visual art inspired by some of the best new music acts in the UK.
– WHEN/WHERE: Bar 90, Hackney Wick – Friday
– WHY RELEVANT? A bigger concentration of artists in Hackney Wick than anywhere in Europe
– LINK: creativityfestival.weebly.com
3. HILL VALLEY STORES – BACK TO THE FUTURE HYPE
Secret Cinema are opening a pop-up store from the Back To The Future films in Shoreditch, ahead of the new Secret Cinema opening. Ruth’s Frock Shop will be selling vintage costumes ahead of the event while classic tunes will be available from Roy’s Records. Grooming and beauty sessions will be on offer at the Elite Beauty Salon or you can grab a burger and a shake at Lou’s Diner next door.
– WHEN / WHERE: Shoreditch, Hackney Road
– WHY RELEVANT? The Secret Cinema immersion becomes a bigger story world
– LINK: secretcinema.seetickets.com
4. A PHEROMONE PARTY..?
There’s a new date night in town direct from LA, and it’s based on science. None of that computer mumbo-jumbo here, this is based on human chemistry – pheromones. The procedure is this; you turn up with a shirt that has been well slept in (three nights in a row is recommended), place in a bag, choose another bag you like the smell of and have your photo taken with it. A slideshow later in the night will give you an opportunity to scope out the beautiful person you saw holding your bag and make your move.
– WHEN / WHERE: Stories, Broadway Market
– WHY RELEVANT? The power of smell, scent & neuroscience in making connections
– LINK: eventbrite.co.uk
5. AND FINALLY… THEATRE ON A BUS
Jump on the 202 bus and eavesdrop on the imaginary lives of an amazing array of passengers as they share their stories with a mostly unsuspecting audience – humorous, moving, surprising, bizarre… Who are you sat next to? What is going on in their head? What would you hear if you found you could read their thoughts?
– WHEN / WHERE: 202 Bus Route
– WHY RELEVANT? What if buses could help us tell stories and create great campaigns?
– LINK: sydenhamartsfestival.co.uk