August 29, 2014
CULTURE CLUB: On Your Radar 29.08.14
Autumn is drawing in, and carnival is over – but don’t be sad, here’s a host of events for the next week designed to inspire, educate and make you dance. Yup, an eclectic mix for this week’s Unity Culture Club…
- JOE GODDARD AT THE NEST
Joe Goddard might seem an unassuming name, but this guy is one of the best – and potentially hairiest – house producers around. A legend in the game, you could say. You might know him better as one half of The 2 Bears (Bear Hug, Gabriel), or Hot Chip – a dance group that reinvigorated UK dance and electronica a few years back. Anyway – back to the point, he’s playing at The Nest in Dalston tonight, I’m very sad to be missing it, so get yourselves down there. Tickets are sold out, but there’ll be lots on the door from 9pm.
– WHEN/WHERE: Tonight, The Nest (Dalston Kingsland or Junction)
2. CARNIVAL DEL KERB
Not had your fill of carnival? Then get your spice on at Carnival del KERB this and next Friday night to chow down on fiery street food – including jerk specialists Boxed Fresh – and dance it all off to Love Glove’s disco-boogie-by-way-of-carnival tunes. It’s free entry too, leaving you more money for chicken – always a bonus.
– WHEN/WHERE: Tonight, then September 5th-12th, Corsica Studios (Elephant & Castle)
- FRIDAY NIGHT LATE AT THE V&A: MAKING TROUBLE AND INFLUENCING PEOPLE
If you didn’t manage to get tickets to Joe Goddard at The Nest, then tonight’s Friday Late looks thought provoking. Taking inspiration from Disobedient Objects currently showing at the V&A – an exhibition of photography, art and design which looks at how political activism can be a catalyst for design ingenuity and collective creativity. Tonight’s Late has talks from Amnesty International and Guerilla Girls, with workshops to inspire your own meaningful trouble-making…
– WHEN / WHERE: Tonight for the late (fee entry, first come first sevred), then until Feb 2015 for Disobedient Objects
4. LONDON SHORT FILM FESTIVAL PRESENTS: AFTER MANY A SUMMER DIES THE SWAN
– It wouldn’t be a Unity Culture Club email without a film even now would it? So here’s one for you lovely people next week. This is a one-off evening of live music and film to celebrate the ‘death of summer’, and the upcoming 12th London Short Film Festival, in a collaboration between London Short Film Festival & Domino Publishing. Not as scary as it sounds, the evening will feature the WORLD PREMIERE of EXPANDED, a new concert film by These New Puritans, performances from Lara Grove, a DJ set from Domino and FREE BEERS (if you arrive early) from Warsteiner UK. And if that’s not enough – it’s at Oval Space – and anyone who has ever been out with me on a Friday will know that a Friday wouldn’t be complete without pitching a trip to Oval Space…
– WHEN/WHERE: Tuesday 9th September, Oval Space (Cambridge Heath)