July 25, 2014
CULTURE CLUB: On Your Radar 25.07.14
Here’s your weekly mailer, featuring a host of handpicked recommendations from the left-field of London’s arts and culture world.
Lock down your aerials..:
1. WE LOVE THE 90s FILM FESTIVAL
– Screening 90s classics under the Westway in a super cool urban cinema setting. Films include Boyz n the Hood, Pulp Fiction, Muriel’s Wedding, Goodfellas and more
– WHEN/WHERE: Portobello Pop-up Cinema, under the Westway
– WHY RELEVANT: The 90s revival trend continues…
2. FANTASY SCENES BY DANNY PASARELLA
Reimagining the British Seaside through Danny Passerella’s cult fashion/music project the Passerella Death Squard. He’s recreated a vision of his Whitley Bay Hometown, through a series of hyper-real photographs along with a specially composed soundtrack.
– WHEN/WHERE: Opening party tonight, Forge & co, Shoreditch High Street
– LINK: www.artrabbit.com
3. WHAT’S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT?
To coincide with the Southbank’s Festival of Love, this group exhibition is about exploring the verbal and visual languages of love and the way it is communicated through social and cultural codes. It features a diverse range of multimedia work, from a range of UK and international artists. The exhibition explores themes such as personal longing and desire.
– WHERE: The Hayward, London’s South Bank
– WHY RELEVANT: We’re about brand love, right?
– LINK: www.southbankcentre.co.uk
4. SHUFFLE FESTIVAL
Shuffle Festival returns to East London, this time coming to Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park. The venue will be transformed – with two outdoor cinemas, a swimming pool, and a restaurant featuring locally sourced ingredients. Highlights will include a 500-person Street Feast, a 25-year anniversary screening of Spike Lee’s seminal Do The Right Thing, and horror screenings accompanied by an East London Bat Walk
– WHERE: Tower Hamlets Cemetery
– LINK: www.shufflefestival.com